“Gwyneth Paltrow, Miranda Kerr, and Naomi Campbell—what’s their morning secret? Lemon water! This health trend has been around for over a decade, and with almost 250 million views on TikTok under the #LemonWater tag, it’s gaining even more popularity. But, is it truly as beneficial as it seems, or just another passing trend? We consulted with London’s dieticians and nutritionists to spill the citrusy truth.
What is Lemon Water?
Simply put, it’s lemon juice mixed with water—cold or warm, your choice. Some jazz it up with cayenne pepper, honey, mint, or turmeric for extra flavour or health perks. Lemon water enthusiasts claim it helps dissolve fat, fight infections, and even cure diseases. But does it hold up?
– Sophie Trotman, media nutritionist, says it’s great for waking up your digestive system when consumed in the morning on an empty stomach.
– Rachel Clarkson, nutrigenomic dietitian, highlights its vitamin C content, essential for immunity and iron absorption.
– Milena Kaler, nutritionist, notes it’s a tasty way to increase water intake.
– Clarissa Lenherr, a professional nutritionist, suggests it could be a low-calorie beverage replacement.
What Experts Say
– Weight Loss – No solid evidence supports lemon water having an edge over plain water.
– Cancer Claims – Debunked; the claim that lemons are stronger than chemotherapy is baseless and dangerous.
– Best Way to Drink – Through a straw to protect teeth enamel, and never boil the water to preserve vitamin C.
– Who Should Avoid – Those prone to mouth ulcers, and individuals holding onto too much iron.
– Acid reflux, heartburn, and nausea may occur with excessive consumption.
– The acidity may erode tooth enamel if consumed frequently.
– May lead to an upset stomach for some.
How Often to Drink
– Personal preference; many enjoy it as a morning routine or throughout the day for flavour and hydration.
– For tooth health, once or twice a week is recommended.
In the world of health trends, lemon water seems to have a place, but as with all things, moderation and individual considerations are key.”